Monday, June 1, 2009

Who's Birthday is it Anyway?

This past weekend I've been questioning myself and whether I'm being selfish. G's b-day is today and for the first time in a VERY long time I am able to actually get him something. Nothing crazy...very simple...a VISA gift card. And I wanted the gift card specifically because I wanted him to use the money for himself and on things he WANTED. If I gave him the cash inevitably he would use it on everyday things. All week he insisted on me giving him the cash because he wanted to go shopping on his days off. I insisted on giving him the VISA card on his birthday because I wanted to give him something ON his birthday. We went back and forth and I finally gave in and just gave him the cash. I mean, it's his birthday right? I should do what he wants, right? I just wanted to give him something on his birthday since it's been such a long time. So, was this more about me than him? I don't know...I'm finding that I'm doing the same thing to Seena. Her b-day is in July and I've been planning this is great "Save the Princess" party in my head. The party would probably be at our house (as usual) with themed activities. She of course is talking about doing her party at every place she's been invited to in the past 4 months, House of Bounce, Chuck-E-Cheese, etc. Now, I know it will all end up probably costing the same but I really enjoy planning and putting together these parties. I don't mind all of the work and preparation that goes into it all....I flat out love it. And it's not even about showing off and doing something spectacular, I just really, really enjoy it. I've been collecting cake decorating books and party ideas for the last 10 years in anticipation of having children to plan parties for. I know it's crazy but let's move on. So now I've found myself trying to talk her into having this particular theme party at our house. She's feeding off of my excitement so naturally she's excited but again, am I making it more about me or should I just give in and give her what she wants? I just hate those places, the kids don't really play together and it doesn't feel like a real party. Plus, how much longer am I going to be able to plan theme parties....the girl is going to end up just wanting a sleep over with just pizza and cake soon enough.

No comments: