Sunday, June 21, 2009

Face Eating Iguana

There are few things in life more entertaining than listening to kids talk amongst themselves and tell stories...at least I think so. And even funnier, when you have an older sibling who understands the "real" world and can call you out on it.

While I was at my mom's yesterday, Seena's older cousin - Mother Hen (6), began to tell me a story about a "guana" biting a girl's face. At first I was only half paying attention until she started to tell me the girl's face came off. I began to ask her who this girl was and if she went to her school. To be honest, I don't remember what her answer was. Again, my attention span was not 100% yesterday and I just thought it was just a "story" made up. A little later, Party Girl (4) came home and she began to tell me about the same story. Now, I'm starting to get interested. I asked my sister what the deal was with this story since both girls are telling me. She said Uncle J let the girls watch some show that morning that had an iguana biting off a girl's face ...or something like that. I really still don't know exactly what the real story was. But Party Girl kept up the conversation and went something like this:

PG - It bit off her whole side of her face. mmmhmmm.
Me - Wow, do you know this girl? Did she go to your school?
PG - Yes, she is in my class. She's my friend.
MH - No! She is not your friend. You are making that up.
PG - No, she is my friend.
MH - I can tell by the look on your face that you're making it up.
Seena - No, she's not. Look at her face, does she look like she's lying? Does she look like she has a happy face?
Me - Seena, how do you know she's not lying.
Seena - look at her face, she's not lying.

And last weekend at the river house PG was whining about a scratch on her leg that she had gotten earlier:
Me - What's the matter?
PG - A dead fish bit my leg.
Me - why did it bite your leg?
PG - because it couldn't make it back to the house.
MH - what?!! That is not true. A dead fish can not bite you. A dead fish is on top of the water and is upside down. It could only bite you if it was in the water the right way up.

So stinking cute.

No comments: