Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Boys vs Girls

It amazes me, that at even at just 16 months, my son is drastically different than what my little girl was at the same age, or in general for that matter. Seena definitely had her toddler moments, getting into stuff, climbing, etc. but not like my son. Seena was gentle, shy and quiet for the most part. She did enjoy exploring new things but she did with caution and care. She was my little pal. We could do and go anywhere together and it was quite lovely actually. My son, no way. He is the exact opposite. My son, AJ:

  • Loves to climb everything and anything
  • Runs all over the place, screaming and yelling
  • Can NOT sit still except for early in the morning when we're cuddling..and even that may be getting old
  • We think he's taking a MAJOR interest in playing the drums. I asked my doctor about this motor skill at this age being normal and he did say it was a little advanced. Could AJ have inherited drum playing genes from his brother-in-law, I don't know, I guess we'll find out. Now, when I say he plays the drums, I don't mean just bang, bang, bang with both hands. AJ knows how to play the drums...I don't know how else to explain it. So needless to say, anything with a flat service becomes a drum in the house.
  • He takes EVERYTHING out of the cabinets. Seena understood that the cabinets were off limits. I didn't have to get the cabinet door locks.
  • Knocks books off of shelves, takes things out of drawers
  • LOVES, LOVES, LOVES to go outside. Seena did too but not like AJ.
  • Wrestles. It's very funny but he's also picky about what he wrestles. He wrestles Seena's puppy and the family room throw blanket ???

I don't think I've done anything different in raising AJ than I did with Seena. Before Seena was born, I remember a friend telling me she would get annoyed after her mommy friends would visit her. After the visit, she would have to walk around the house and relocate all of the knick-knacks that were moved out of reach of toddler hands. This stuck with me and seeing that she was a good friend and I would be visiting with Seena at some point, I surely did not want to be one of those friends. So, I taught Seena not to touch things and it wasn't a problem. I could take Seena anywhere and I wouldn't be worried. I could not say the same for AJ. He would touch things just in spite. He does it now. I know he knows what is "off limits" but he toys with us. Right before touching whatever he's not suppose to touch he looks over at us with a mischievous smile, as if it was a dare or to see if we're looking. He's only 16 months!! I need to find a way for him to exert all of this energy? How young can they start sports? Now?

1 comment:

Danifred said...

Heee heee heee... moving the knick knacks! I have to tell you, Tot was exactly like AJ is. It's been hard to channel her energy but we find the more we keep her outside and engaged in activities the better. But, it's still not easy!!!