Tuesday, April 14, 2009

To decorate or not and my obsessive husband

Other than going to my parents for another Plaza "unplanned" gathering, G's and I biggest fights are over decorating and organizing the house. The decorating isn't as much of an issue since we both have come around to a "less is more" mentality when it comes to decorating. However, G seems to think I have a "Grandma's" style of decorating. Whatever that is??? Our biggest problem is organizing or "cleaning" as G likes to call it. He seems to think we, with 3 kids and a dog, can live in a museum-like house 24 hours a day. Not happening. And I also, much to G's disbelief, DO NOT LIKE CLUTTER. Many times it's just a timing thing. Now, I'll accept that some of the disorganization is mine but I have a reason/system for my messes. Many times it's a time issue or I just don't know what to do with the item right at that moment so I put it in a specific place or pile that I know I will be able to get to later. Usually it's a certain shelf in the kitchen or on the dining room table. Neither of these are acceptable places for G. It's not like I have crap laying all over the place in the house. It's very frustrating because that is the only thing he will focus on, especially since he's home all of the time now and he cleans (really organizes) all day. He loves cleaning the kitchen so that it is spotless and then he gets angry at me for making it a mess. Um, I'm sorry, I had to cook dinner. I mean, seriously. My philosophy is NOT to clean the kitchen 50 times a day but to wait until the end of the day to do a thorough cleaning. I don't see the problem with that. Lately, his focus has been the projects I have started and not completed. Two actually ... one of which caused a fight because it was a decorating issue. The big one is the layout of picture frames I want to add to a certain wall in the family room. Right now I have 3 large frames with only pictures of Seena in them. This obviously needs to change since I now have 3 kids. Since we rearranged the family room, I now have an empty wall that I can hang pictures up. I was very excited about this since I lack pictures of my kids around the house. I have a few but not many. So, I went around the house, grabbed all of the picture frames and organized them in a pattern that I would like to put up on my dining room table. G hated the idea. He said it was an 80's style and again, the grandma style, got thrown in there. 80's? Seriously? Right, I forgot that G studied the history of decorating and can pinpoint times in history when decorating trends began. Ugh, he can make me want to pull my hair out. Anyway, I was going to put up the pictures regardless but then I started thinking about the house. I don't know if we are going to be able to stay so why should I put up all of these pictures and put holes in the wall if I may have to leave? I don't want to put them away in case I forget how I arranged them (I know that is lame) or we get good news tomorrow and we'll get to stay. So, the pictures are still laying on the table....waiting to be put up.

Project 2 is my seeds. I love to garden but I can't afford to go out and buy plants so I start them from seeds. Plus I get a great sense of satisfaction growing plants from seed. Well, the problem is the only undisturbed sunny place in the house is...you guessed it....the dining room.

No comments: