Wednesday, February 24, 2010

No Red Meat = No Energy

And as any mom knows, no energy is not an option. What I can say is that I'm pooped, literally. I am dragging a$$. All I think about all day is closing my eyes and going to sleep. Up until today I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. I'm never like this unless I'm sick and that even only lasts 24 hours. I don't think it's my job overload. Even working all 4 in one week, it still doesn't make 40 hours...not that I want it to but I'm just saying...it's not the work that's making me tired. It's not the kids either, as hectic and nonstop as they are, I'm used to that. So, I'm left with the red meat. It's the only change I've made recenlty. And in just one week it may already be kicking my butt. I've been yawning and have been exhausted all week. All I want to do is lay in bed. My poor husband is just appalled that I would have the "audacity" to yawn around him. I know, dude, I get it, your tired, you work until 3am every night and only get 4 hours of sleep....but I'm not getting any red meat and I'm tired too! I guess that's what it is...It's the only thing that has changed. I guess it's the lack of iron. It's started to affect my running again. Today I ran with lead weights for legs. It sucked.

I suppose I will need to do some research on some dietary alternatives as I intend to stick this through. One of the main reasons I chose to give this up was to see how my body would react. I've been doing a lot of reading on eating a plant-based diet and all of the health benefits associated with it. I'm not saying that I want to be vegan, I don't think I could, but it still intrigues me.

I've heard some rumors of being allowed to indulge in your Lental sacrifice on Sundays. If things don't improve mighty quickly I may be cooking up an all-beef buffet this Sunday!

How do these vegetarian athletes do it? Where do they get their energy from? In just the time it has taken me to write this blog, I think I've fallen asleep 4 times. As a matter of fact, I don't even know if what I have written makes sense or is even interesting...I need to go to sleep...I'm getting delirious.

Any suggestions for iron intake (besides a vitamin?)

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Lots of green...spinach, kale, those sorts of things. Good luck...I'm sure your body will adjust (why? why am I sure? i'm not a nutritionist...you might as well stop listening to me now). When I was pregnant and craving iron-laden foods, I would eat an entire brick of frozen spinach (albeit cooked at the time of consumption) with some vinegar every night. Sick, right? Good luck!

Sunny said...

This is very interesting and I agree that meat gives you an extra pep. I wonder if your body is just going through withdraws and will eventually adjust?

Anonymous said...

I agree with Rebecca - lots of dark green veggies! I like Sunny's theory as well . . . it would seem likely that your body would go through withdrawl and need some time to adjust. Whatever the case, I hope it resolves itself soon!

Danifred said...

You know that my body never did really respond to being a vegetarian. I was so sick all the time!!!

Stepping On Cheerios said...

I'm been dragging too...I think I'll eat some red meat tomorrow. I wanted to pull the car over this morning and take a nap!